Saturday 28 April 2012

119. Analogue


I love, love, love shooting analogue. My first SLR was an analogue Nikon and I loved it. Nowadays, when almost everyone has a digital camera and can take as many photos as they want without any great expense, I find something truly lovely in returning to film. It makes me very selective about what I shoot; take time and thought over composition to ensure I'm not wasting film and I enjoy waiting expectantly to get a roll of film developed, not knowing what will turn up. 

My partner and I have a growing collection of analogue cameras - from new toy cameras such as this and this, to vintage cameras we have inherited from parents and grandparents or found in junk-shops. 

While I was in Amsterdam, I shot a roll of 35mm film on this little camera - the La Sardina from Lomography. I fell out with it the first time I ran a film through - way back last summer - because I hadn't ensured the mechanism which allows the shutter to open and close was in the right place, and virtually none of my photos took. However, I thought it was about time I stopped being grumpy and tried again (there are no guarantees with analogue, but you have to go with the flow and accept that that is part of the fun!). 

I'm really pleased with how most of the film has come out. Being a toy camera, there aren't really any proper controls for exposure or focus so it's a bit of luck as to whether a shot will work. This one  is a good-un.

I would really recommend giving analogue a go, if you haven't already, or returning to it if you haven't looked back since going digital. It's a real thrill to get those developed negatives and see what comes up! 

No comments:

Post a Comment